Thursday, July 14, 2011

I didn't have a date for my high school prom because nobody asked to take me

I didn't have a date for my high school prom because nobody asked to take me 

              i didn't
     have a date
       for my high school prom
       in fact i didn't have a
          a formal or decent
           evening dress to wear 
                
                        for that matter

    the fellas said they like me
        but they don't look at me like
             they look at other girls
               that means no dates for me
           
                         i'm one of the boys
    
             i'm not gay or anything like that
       i just like telling dirty jokes
        and playing the dozens
         
                     you know . . . .
    
 talking about each others mama 
                and other kinfolk
    
                         the fellas
                    that didn't
             ask me to the prom
             said i have a 
                     good sense of humor
                           and a cute smile

                                 the girls at school talk about
                                 me behind my back
                                 when they hear my name
                                       
                                    they say: 
                   "That girl? She'll do and
                             say anything. She's something else!"

                  they were so prissy and phony
                       
                          they really envied me
                       cause i'm not scared
                        to be myself
         i don't have to be prissy and
          cute to be popular
            with the fellas
             
                         that didn't ask me to the prom

                       sometimes the girls surround
                         me in the bathroom
                                    cause they want me to
                                teach them to play
                                the dozens 
                                  they want to curse
                                      like me and the fellas
                                      
                             "It's got to come natural"
                                    i told them

       i could tell they were jealous
       watching me have all the fun
       
                                 they were such hot tailed, prissy girls
       
                the fellas that didn't ask me to the prom
                             said these girls will drop
                                     their panties at the flip
                                                     of a cap
                                                 any boy's cap
                                                  
                                       the easy girls
                                    
                                      like the fellas
                      
                                didn't see through my 
                         happy-go-lucky humor
                      they didn't see it was
                      a cover up to hide the hurt
                      underneath my teenage heart 

     there were days i didn't want to
     laugh, tell dirty jokes or play the dozens

                 i wanted to sit and talk about
                          serious things like what boys
                           tell girls when they're on the dance floor
                             dancing closer than
                                   grown folk told them not to

           i wanted the fellas to talk about
               love and sex and what it meant to them
                      
                          on day i asked them: "Y'all really like
                        those silly girls, or y'all just want to
                           get in their panties?"


               they told me: "Yeah. But you a good girl."
                         
                              the fellas that didn't
                          ask me to the prom
                            told me to keep my legs closed
               
                   cause i'm one of the fellas
                i don't cry or act like
                 a sentimental girl
                  cause then they'll
                       kick me out the circle

       so i'll kept on telling dirty jokes
       playing the dozens
                                            and showing the fellas
                                             i have a cute smile
                                             and a good sense of humor

copyrighted by dorothy charles banks

No comments: