Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mandela Woman

 When I began writing poetry it merely served as a vehicle for me to get in touch with my inner self; to converse with my inner consciousness on the issues which were affecting my life--growing up, falling in love. The joy of writing was liberating, being able to say whatever I wanted to without question or debate with others who were in a position to challenge my positions.

When I began sharing my writing with friends and family, I came to realize that I found a way to express what so many others wanted to say. Additionally, I started to write poetry that would express to other how I felt about them, or a particular issue.

 I've always felt that there is so much to say, so much to share about this world we live in. Writi9ng poetry afforded me an expedient avenue to get it all out. As young person, writing a poem was overwhelming as sitting down to write a book. The initial goal was to get everything said as in little time as possible.

 It was not long before I recognized that poetry could also, and should be used as an education tool. It was a means to educate our young, to educate our communities, our society and each other. I began to devour the writings of Nikki Giovanni, Haki Madhubi, Gwendolyn Brooks, Imari Baraka, Maya Angelou, and a host of others committed to truth telling and progress for African American people.

 It really doesn't matter if everyone likes what I write. I know there will always be someone who doesn't like my style,  my issues, my language, my  message. But if I can touch one heart,  raise one consciousness, I will know I have done my part, and that is enough for me.

 To encourage writing is to encourage reading, and to do this is to strengthen the minds of our children and broaden their view of the world.


 Mandela Woman

Mandela, Mandela
Mandela Woman
Mandela, Mandela
Mandela Woman
Winnie, Winnie
Mandela Woman


                                           I, Sojourner
                                             I, Harriet
                    

                                           We women warriors
                                                 summon you
                                                  salute you

      Mandela Woman
            Winnie, Winnie

                                 Mandela Woman
                            if you do no more
                       you have done your part
                            given your heart
                         live on to witness the change

                                                Mandela Woman
                                                     Winnie,  Winnie


                                                                              if the words you've spoken
                                                                                  will always be heard
                                                                                     you've given your sound
                                                                                          live on to hear the echoes

                                                                          Mandela Woman
                                                                          Winnie, Winnie

                                                            if you don't teach another
                                                                           African Child
                                                                       you've already taught so man
                                                                                   to be teachers
                                                                              live on to behold the
                                                                                   teaching of the young

1Mandela Woman
Winnie, Winnie
if you never write another book
you've written a book of freedom
live on to read it

                                                                                     Mandela Woman
                                                                                  if you never feed another hungry mouth
                                                                                     you have done your part
                                                                               
                                                                                      Mandela Woman
                                                                               if you never march again
                                                                                            on bloodied soil
                                                                                          you've given your heart

                                                                  Mandela woman
if you never raise your hand again
to catch bullets with the truth
you've given your life

1Mandela Woman
live on
be a spectator to the victory

We women warriors
know it takes more
than one mule to carry
a million souls to freedom

copyrighted by Niobe Marshall

2 comments:

Aakriti said...

beautiful blog.........brilliant piece of work...the template is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your interview with Madalyn Ohair